Pages

Thursday, August 28, 2008

From the land of rain, rain and more rain


Well let's just say that North Carolina defiantly felt the remnants of tropical storm Fay. Yesterday as I was collecting on my machines and running here and there, Fay remnants decided they would play havoc on my day. At about 9:15 yesterday morning I was swept up in a whirlwind of rain and high winds, I literally could not see the car in front of me it was raining so hard. But I knew what to do thanks to my trusty Smith System that I go by everyday. I immediately turned on my flashers and lowered my speed, but I have to be kind because everyone does not know the Smith System, so as I watched in horror cars just racing by at speeds well over 10 mph I prayed for their foolishness. I then found comfort in the gas station parking lot as I pulled in to wait out the monsoon we were experiencing. On the radio there were tornado warnings everywhere and so I began calling my Mikey to make sure he was OK and to my mom to let her know since school might be letting children out because of the storms that were to last the rest of the day.


As the rain lightened up I noticed that my wiper blades were looking rather strange. The wind and hard rain had ripped one completely off. So I raced down to the Auto Zone and bought new ones so I could see the rest of the day.


As the afternoon progressed it got hotter and dark clouds began to form over the area. Severe thunderstorm warnings were popping up everywhere, as well as tornado warnings. I called my sister to make sure that she got off the bus safely and to make sure that they were hunkered down if there was severe weather headed their way. As soon as Mikey came home the bottom fell out and it rained well into the night. Well at about 3:00 this morning I woke up in horror as I remembered that there were flash flood warnings up in our area and I immediately thought of the lake about 100 feet by our house. I woke Mikey up in a panic and told him if the lake started to rise I wanted to leave but then I thought the lake is by the only road that leads us out of here and I started freaking out. Hence I didn't go back to sleep because I was too worried about being swept away by the lake and the fish in it. The rain ended soon as I fell back asleep and no I didn't get washed away.


To those of you that don't know what the Smith System is I will gladly let you know, because it will make you a smarter driver. When I met Mikey 4 years ago he was a FEDEX Ground contractor which means he owned a route there. He still did vending on the side but had to let his vending business go due to his fathers illness, so he sold equipment and bought 2 routes at FEDEX to make more money. Well I told him why not let me drive for the other route and then we don't have to hire anyone else. So I went to the wonderful FEDEX driving school were I made a 100 on the driving and written test, which they never gave me my certificate for (that's a whole other blog). The Smith System teaches you how to look at the drivers and the other actions around and in front of you so you will know what to do in the event of a crash up ahead or people crossing the road. I have found this to be very helpful and it has also made me have a little bit of road rage just because when someone cuts you off and you swerve in the other lane it's like did you not look or were you on your stupid cell phone not paying attention. I also have this motto: a car accident is not an accident it is a crash, and the reason I know this is because about 100% of the time most people are not paying attention and results in a crash. Because in true reality yes they did mean to hit your car because they were not PAYING ATTENTION. Just like the cars racing by yesterday in the raging storm. I honestly think when it rains people hit the stupid button.


Until I blog again ~ Gal Molly

No comments: