Pages

Monday, May 10, 2010

I see that you are handicapped...

I see that you are handicapped
I see that you are handicapped...
I bet you're wondering what I mean by that.
You have all your fingers and all your toes...
The five senses, you have all of those.
I on the other hand cannot see...
And yes, I know, you feel sorry for me.
But save your sorrow for another day...
My heavenly Father made me this way.
He chose me to spread His Holy word...
Because of my blindness, so many have heard.
Now let's get back to your handicap...
It's your vision, I'm sure of that.
You see with eyes everyone you meet...
You look them over from head to feet.
But you could see so much more...
If their outer garments you could ignore.
I'm not influenced by their skin, clothes or hair...
Do their shoes match their purse, I just don't care.
Tattoos and tongue rings you can't help but see...
Sometimes it's good to be blind, like me!
Their home, his car, her jewelry box...
Surely, they don't wear black shoes with white socks.
You judge at first, by what you see...
I am blessed because that never happens with me.
I see others with my heart, it's true...
I judge them by what they say and do.
I challenge you, my sighted friends...
To let go your handicap, begin again.
Turn a blind eye to skin, clothes, and hair...
And your life will be blessed beyond compare.
~ Lisa Shearin
January 27, 2006
A few weeks ago I went to my annual Dressing of the Tables at my step mama's church, again it was so much fun, can't wait till next year! The speaker this year was Lisa Shearin, she was lovely and shared a beautiful testimony. She wrote this poem a few years after she became blind and it really speaks the truth. The night before we went up to my dad's to attend this event I told Mike that I was going to stop "judging with my eyes", I have been really good about not doing that! I didn't know the speaker was going to be talking about this until she started speaking, it really spoke to my heart. We have been trying to minister to others and going to places where most people wouldn't go to spread the gospel. I challenge you all to read this poem and apply it to your life, you will meet people you thought you wouldn't and you can share your testimony with them!!
~Gal Molly

No comments: