Pages

Friday, February 19, 2010

The Chip

Four and a half years ago when I was registering for China for my wedding I picked out a colorful pattern that was called "Confetti" by Vista Alegre. I knew when I went out to register I wanted to find colorful pieces that represented me and Mike since we are such a "colorful" couple. Well I received all of the pieces at my bridal shower, I could not have been happier! I knew I wanted to take care of all my precious gifts because they meant so much to me and represented me and Mike getting married.
After four and a half years of hand washing every single piece of dish, glass, pot and pan I received I accidentally chipped a soup bowl. My heart sank to my stomach and I was sick with what I had done. After being so careful to keep all my pieces together I could not believe I had chipped my pretty soup bowl. I still wanted to keep that " your getting married" feeling that had come with receiving such pretty wares.
I told Mike I wanted to buy a new bowl because I could not stand to look at the chip. Mike replied with " when you look at the "chip" think of all the meals we have ate together". At first I did not like his response, I wanted a new bowl. A few days after the dreaded "chip" had come to my precious bowl I got to thinking about what Mike had said. We have eaten a many of a meal in those bowls, our first meal in those bowls was cereal. To get rid of that bowl would be like throwing memories away when I'd replace it with a new bowl. Our four and a half years of marriage have been the best years of my life.
I now eat every bowl of cereal out of that "chipped" bowl and remember all the fun times me and Mike have had together. That "chip" symbolizes a well worn bowl and marriage that is greatly loved.
~Gal Molly

1 comment:

Michele said...

Wonderful way to think about it Molly..I have so many chipped plates and bowls...and now I will think of all the memories that go along with them!

Have a great weekend!

Hugz,
Michele