Pages

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Cheese Biscuits and Russian Tea

Don't you remember your favorite foods from when you were little when you smell a familiar smell? I know I do! I can remember a ton of food my granny would cook up and we would get o relish in her delicious southern cooking. On summer evenings we would always have sliced tomatoes and sliced cucumbers marinated in vinegar and mayonnaise and chilled in the fridge for hours to be served with dinner. We also had sliced tomatoes with breakfast, guess that's why I love tomatoes to this day! For midnight snacks my granny would make her a pot of coffee and drink it *black* and we would have a slice of cake or pimento cheese on crackers and watch her favorite show MASH. She was a 1st Lieutenant army nurse in the Korean War and I so wish she had lived long enough so I could have asked her questions, although me and mama have some fabulous pictures of her in the army, she was so beautiful!
Anyways, I wanted to share with you two recipes that I recently found in her recipe box at mama's that I *swiped* just for a little while, ha ha. She always hand typed her recipes out on index cards or on her *From the kitchen of...* cards. You can always tell which ones were her favorite by the discoloration of the card and her sweet little fingerprints smudged on the edges. I always keep these in my purse so I can feel her close to me :)
So without further adieu I give her yummy cheese biscuits and Russian Tea!
Cheese Biscuits
1 cup grated cheese
1/3 cup butter
1 cup sifted flour
dash salt
Mix all ingredients and chill. Bake at 350 degrees until lightly golden.
Russian Tea
1 1/2 cups Tang
3/4 instant tea with lemon
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
Mix all ingredients together and place in a container with a lid. Mix 2 teaspoons in a mug of hot water.
Russian Tea was dreamy on afternoon *bridge* party's, magical on cold days and sweet sipping with granny in her brightly colored flowered *moo moo*.
Please enjoy these with loved ones! And look tomorrow for a surprise!
~Gal Molly

1 comment:

Pam @ Frippery said...

I am going to serve those cheese biscuits this week at my lia sophia open house. Yum! Any word on the embroidery swap?