Pages

Thursday, October 1, 2009

October 1ST


I have been loving this Fall weather! Cool, crisp mornings followed by warm afternoons and breezy, cool evenings. I found some apple cider in my cupboard this morning and made me some french toast breakfast, yum! I now have to make a trip to the grocery for some raspberry hot chocolate and some items to make chili. I was thinking about telling something spooky up until the day of Halloween or telling yummy recipes or a favorite Fall find. Who knows what you'll read here this month. I'll start out by telling the story of Ethel, my plaster made witch mask that I dearly loved but got lost in between moves.

When I was in the fourth grade I bought a mask kit from our school book fair. I remember walking into the library and immediately noticing it along with all of the Halloween themed books. I'm not sure why I love Halloween so much but I do. It could be because I love all things Fall and decorating and dressing up for Halloween. Anyways, I saw this kit and knew I had to purchase it with the money my mama had given me to get books that day. I purchased the kit along with some other Halloween themed books and was waiting for the school bell to ring so I could walk home as fast as I could and get to working on this mask. When the school bell rang me and my sister met in the hallway and started our 3 block journey home. We got some snacks and went to the den to start homework and working on our Halloween costumes. I pulled the mask from my bag and envisioned a witch with a green face and big mole on her chin. I got all the supplies ready and started working hard on Ethel. I had finished her within an hour with the exception of painting her. I needed to let her dry over night then I could paint her lovely witchy face.

The next afternoon I painted her face green and her mole black. She was beautiful! I displayed her in my room for Halloween and then packed her neatly in a box after the holiday. She was used for many years as decoration and only got a little worn on the edges. I am sad to say that Ethel is no longer with us, she got lost in the move. I miss her dearly and wish I could find another kit to her sister Gretel, I know she would be proud.

Do you have a favorite Halloween decoration or memory that you just love? Please let me know, I would love to hear it!

Until I blog again ~ Gal Molly

No comments: